Tuesday, March 22, 2011

In the Kitchen: Soaked Pancakes

This is my favorite home made pancake recipe and it's a healthy one (as pancake recipes go)!  It's a "soaked" pancake recipe from Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions."  It's very easy, but does require a little pre-planning the evening before...however, you can make these ahead and freeze them for future breakfasts or snacks.

Pancake Recipe:

2 c fresh whole wheat flour, Kamut, or spelt
(I use whole wheat flour)
2 c buttermilk, kefir or yoghurt (choose only one)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
butter to fry cakes in

Mix flour in buttermilk, kefir or yoghurt.  (I have used all three and it doesn't seem to make much change in the final out come although I would say kefir is probably my favorite, if I had to choose.)

Cover and set in a warm place for 12-24 hrs. (for those with milk allergies, you can use 2 c filtered water and 2 tbsp. whey or 2 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice instead of buttermilk, kefir or yoghurt)


After this has soaked...stir in remaining ingredients and

 cook on hot oiled cast iron skillet.  
These cakes cook a little more slowly than unsoaked cakes and texture is much more moist.
Serve with real maple syrup or raw honey or berry jam.   We like ours with maple syrup and over easy eggs...Yummmmm!

To read about the benefits of pre-soaking grains, go to: 
Soaking or fermenting grains prior to consuming them is an important step that the industrial age has removed from our food preparation in an effort to save time at the expense of our health.

The Weston Price foundation is an excellent resource for healthy food prep. information (although they do not follow "biblically clean eating"), they teach "lost" information related to proper food preparation and eating things the way Abba intended for us to eat such as butter, meat, eggs, etc.
Check 'em out...there's a LOT of news you can use there!

He causes the grass to grow for the cattle and the herb for the service of man, that He may bring forth food out of the earth.
-Ps 104:14

2 comments:

Moira said...

Hi there Traci~Great post!
How funny that we both did pancake recipes! Funnier~ is that of all the types of pancakes I listed on my blog the only kind I forgot was soaked, LOL!

*What I will do is add a LINK to your blog for people to come see this great recipe~too!
Shalom,
Moria

Sady K. said...

So awesome I have barely nicked the pages of that book. Those look so yummy but alas I must wait till June before I can sample such yummy looking pancakes!

I love the new look and pictures on your site! I must learn how to do pictures like that for your heading!

Love ya,

Sady

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...