Friday, March 4, 2011

Recipe Korner



I would like to share a recipe that my Grandma taught me a long time ago.  We used to have it at her house and it was yummy, quick, easy and tasty and can be made with pantry items or leftovers. I think it was one of the first things she taught me to make  We had it just the other night.
 It's called, "HOBO STEW"
(Disclaimer:  If a hobo happens to be reading this post, please don't take offense by the name...I didn't name it and I don't know who did, I hope you have a good day:)

Hobo Stew
2 lbs. hamburger browned and seasoned to your liking
2  15 oz. cans green beans or fresh or frozen
2  15 oz can  corn (drained) or fresh or frozen
1 1/2  cup cooked beans of your choice (I always keep beans cooked ahead and in the freezer minus seasoning so I can add them to whatever recipe I am making.  Also, I often mix my beans: red beans and navy beans and pinto or garbanzo when I make them so there is a variety)
1 46 oz. V8 tomato juice or spicy V8 (or make your own, I've done all three)
3 tsp onion powder (I use onion powder because my kids don't like onions)
1/2 - 1 tsp. cayenne pepper to taste
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
S&P
(We like it spicy!!)
Brown the hamburger and drain if needed.  Add hamburger and all the rest of the ingredients to a large soup pot and let simmer for 40 min or so if you are in a hurry.  If you have time to spare, place the hamburger and all the ingredient except the corn in the Crock Pot on high for 2 hrs. then add the corn about 1/2 before serving.

Sprinkle with a little Parmesan if you like.
Serve with bread and salad.
(What soup isn't good with bread?)

This is a great recipe for left over veggies or left over hamburger.  I used my left over taco meat which has rice and beans in it the other night and it was a great use for that.  The picture about is stock photo showing tomatoes and zucchini.  but as I said, the ingredients can be added to your liking.

Enjoy

Have a blessed day of preparation!

Traci

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...