Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Around the house today


Today...I froze blueberries whole...
I pureed some...
Made Blueberry  Muffins...


   Made hash browns.  (Boil or bake them first and you don't have to peel them.) I shredded them onto a jelly roll pan lined with parchment, sprinkled them with onion powder and put them in to freeze.  When they are solid, I will put them into freezer bags according to how much we’ll use for  a breakfast and they’ll be ready to go and they taste really great.  We like to add onions and mushrooms to ours when we cook them.


 Pulled some dried milk powder out of the freezer  to make “Home Shalom’s” Mexican Hot Cocoa Mix (find it here http://homeshalom.blogspot.com/2011/01/homeshaloms-mexican-hot-cocoa-mix.html  ), which I did.  I mixed it up and put it into 2 one quart glass jars.  I didin’t have the vanilla powder that the recipe calls for so I had to leave that out but I did look it up, but as she said, it is expensive, so I opted out this time which she said was okay). The kids love homemade whipped topping so I’ll make that and maybe we’ll have that tonight when we read together, that sounds nice doesn’t it.

Made some bread.  I still use a bread machine to make bread.  I feel like such a sorry woman…I have no relationship with the dough.  Dough does not like me and may have it out for me, I think!  So, my trusty bread machine to the rescue.  Here’s one of my favorite recipes:


Crunchy Wheat and Honey Bread

Makes a 1 Lb. loaf

¾ c plus 2Tbsp water

2 Tbsp honey

1Tbsp softened butter

1 ¼ c whole wheat flour (I use organic)

1 c unbleached white flour (I have used all

 WW before and it still turned out just fine)

¼ c soaked and dried sunflower seeds (my 

favorite) or slivered almonds if you like (I

 make it without the sunflower seeds too and

 don’t need to make any adjustments)

1 tsp sea salt

1 ¼ tsp reg. active dry yeast

Or

1 tsp bread machine yeast of quick-acting dry yeast.

From there you’d just  have to use your bread

 machines directions but for mine the cycle 

is…
bread type: Whole wheat

Crust color: Medium

Bake: Regular and press start 
and 3 hrs. 55 min. later it’s ready.  

***NOTE: Sorry, The bread is still in the 

bread machine so no pics of bread today.


Roasted a chicken for dinner tonight along with a few baked potatoes, creamed corn and a salad…the bread got done after dinner though.  You can’t win ‘em all.






I snuck (is snuck really a word?) in a picture of the boys working on school, hi boys!  Caleb is doing math, he had a few hitches today...but it got better and done:)

Well, that’s (part of) my day.  Like I said, It was goodJ





1 comment:

MommySetFree said...

I am sippin homemade chai as I read your blog (nice combo!), I'll be postin it soon. :-)

Bread used to be my frustration...but with lots of practice...I finally got it. Have you ever heard of www.Breadforlife.net Beth Holland? She is actually a Torah Keeper! She has some great videos, but I passed them on because I had them in VHS and we got rid of our TV..otherwise I would have sent them to you...but check her out. She has great cookbooks too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...